There’s a likely chance you will need to replace your old and worn out spark plugs several times while you own a a 2015 Nissan Armada. Spark plugs are one of the most important components inside your engine as they trigger the entire combustion process that starts and keeps your engine running for many thousands of miles. Like most engine parts and components, spark plugs experience wear over time and eventually need to be replaced, but fortunately this is a repair you can do on your own. Odds are, if you’ve found yourself here, you have no idea how to do that, or maybe you’d just like to know what kind of spark plugs you need to buy. The entire process of changing your spark plugs should take approximately 20-45 minutes. This article will go over everything you will need to know about your Nissan Armada’s spark plugs, whether you need some baseline information or a full, step-by-step guide to performing a spark plug change.
Correct spark plugs on a 2015 Nissan Armada
For any 2015 Nissan Armada, you can use AUTOLITE APP5325 spark plugs. These will be an exact fit and will match the required specifications of your engine. As this 2015 Nissan Armada features a 5.6L V8 engine, ensure you purchase 8 spark plugs. We always try to recommend the best possible spark plugs for the money, and these spark plugs are either a factory recomendation or an equivalent replacement available now at an affordable price.
How often should I change my spark plugs?
Very generally, it is advised that you replace spark plugs once every 20,000 to 40,000 miles. Of course, please make sure to check your owner’s manual to determine the specific interval determined by Nissan for the 2015 Armada. Of course, if you drive your vehicle more aggressively or own a Nissan Armada with some modifications, you may want to consider changing your spark plugs closer to the 20,000 miles end of that spectrum.
However, there are also classic signs of a car that needs a spark plug replacement early, such as:
- Rough idle
- Problems starting your engine
- Engine misfiring
As a quick note, keep in mind that this list is certainly not comprehensive, and these problems on their own do not necessarily point to the spark plugs being the solitary culprit. However, the best way to prevent any issues with your vehicle is to take care of it with routine maintenance, and you are definitely doing so with the responsible decision to replace your 2015 Nissan Armada’s spark plugs on a regular basis.
Changing spark plugs on a 2015 Nissan Armada
This is a process you can do on your own with some commonplace garage tools. Of course, consult your owner’s manual, as well as a factory service manual (FSM for short) or an equivalent Haynes or Chiltons manual. The video shown below does a good job of outlining the process.
As noted before, you should be able to accomplish a spark plug change with some ordinary tools you most likely already have. However, there are a few tools that are specific to this job that you may not have, and we also want to recommend some commonplace tools that you should for sure have in your toolbox if you don’t already.
- A spark plug gap tool. This allows you to check the gap of your spark plugs and change it if necessary. Most plugs will come pregapped, but if not, you should absolutely have one of these.
- I also highly recommend you have a feeler gauge as it makes it a bit easier to check the exact gap, and it is helpful for a decent number of other jobs.
- A set of spark plug sockets – These come in extremely handy because many standard sockets are not deep enough for spark plugs. In addition, some spark plug holes are a bit smaller, so it requires a thinner wall like the one featured in the product here to fit. The linked product also features a magnet to keep a good hold of the spark plug so you do not drop it into your engine bay!
- A spark plug tester – this is definitely a niche tool, but it can save you lots of time. Although we’ve discussed spark plug replacement being a good thing to replace regularly and not just when issues occur, you may also be replacing your spark plugs because of something going wrong. This tool can help you diagnose the definite problem.
- A torque wrench is a very important tool to have in your arsenal. You will want to check your FSM (factory service manual) to determine the correct torque rating to use when installing the new spark plugs for your 2015 Nissan Armada to be confident they are installed properly.
Tips for changing spark plugs on your 2015 Nissan Armada
Ensure you reference the video above before you attempt to repair the spark plugs on your 2015 Nissan Armada, as well as review your FSM (factory service manual). Be sure to check the tips shown here to help you as you complete this repair.
- One of the most important things to remember is to avoid overtightening the plugs or worse, cracking them due to overtightenting. Use a torque wrench capable of lower, more precise torque ratings to be sure that you don’t make this mistake.
- It isn’t a bad idea to use dielectric grease when installing new spark plugs. You can apply a a small dab to the inside of the boot and the ceramic part of your spark plugs. It prevents voltage leak and helps avoid the misfortune of the boot fusing to the spark plug over time.
- Before starting, remove the negative terminal of your battery. It is wise to disconnect the battery anytime you work on the electrical system of your Nissan Armada or any other vehicle.
- This is not official advice as many spark plug manufacturers advise against the use of anti-seize. However, I have heard from numerous old-school mechanics that they always apply a tiny amount of anti-seize to the threads of their spark plugs, especially on older vehicles.
- You should replace spark plugs on a cold engine. You should wait at least 30 minutes after your engine has been running before attempting to replace the spark plugs on your 2015 Nissan Armada