There’s a decent chance you will need to replace your worn out spark plugs several times while you own a a 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata. Spark plugs are one of the most critical parts inside your engine as they begin the entire combustion process that starts and keeps your engine running for many thousands of miles. Like most engine components, spark plugs experience wear over time and eventually need to be swapped out for new replacements, but fortunately this is a repair you can do on your own. Chances are, if you’ve found yourself here, you have no idea how to do that, or maybe you’d just like to know what kind of spark plugs you need to buy. The entire process of changing your spark plugs should take approximately 20-45 minutes. This article will go over everything you will need to know about your Mazda MX-5 Miata’s spark plugs, whether you need some general information or a full, step-by-step guide to performing a spark plug change.
Correct spark plugs on a 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata
For any 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata, you can use DENSO 5339 spark plugs. These will be an exact fit and will match the required specifications of your engine. As this 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata features a 2.0L L4 engine, ensure you purchase 4 spark plugs. We always try to recommend the best possible spark plugs for the money, and these spark plugs are either a factory recomendation or an equivalent replacement available in today’s market at an affordable price.
How often should I change my spark plugs?
Very generally, it is advised that you replace spark plugs once every 20,000 to 40,000 miles. Of course, please make sure to check your owner’s manual to determine the specific interval determined by Mazda for the 2015 MX-5 Miata. Of course, if you drive your vehicle more aggressively or own a Mazda MX-5 Miata with some modifications, you may want to consider changing your spark plugs closer to the 20,000 miles end of that spectrum.
However, there are also telltale signs of a car that needs a spark plug replacement early, such as:
- Engine misfiring
- Rough idle
- Problems starting your engine
Consider that this list is certainly not comprehensive, and these problems on their own do not necessarily point to the spark plugs being the solitary culprit. However, the best way to prevent any issues with your vehicle is to take care of it with regular maintenance, and you are definitely doing so with the responsible decision to replace your 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata’s spark plugs on a regular basis.
Changing spark plugs on a 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata
This is a process you should be able to do on your own with some standard garage tools. Of course, consult your owner’s manual, as well as a factory service manual (FSM for short) or an equivalent Haynes or Chiltons manual. The video shown below does a good job of outlining the process.
As noted before, you should be able to accomplish a spark plug change with some ordinary tools you most likely already have. However, there are a few tools that are specific to this job that you may not have, and we also want to recommend some general tools that you should absolutely have in your toolbox if you don’t already.
- A set of spark plug sockets – These come in very handy because many standard sockets are not deep enough for spark plugs. Also, some spark plug holes are a bit smaller, so it requires a thinner wall like the one featured in the product here to fit. The linked product also features a magnet to keep a good hold of the spark plug so you do not drop it into your engine bay!
- A spark plug gap tool. This allows you to check the gap of your spark plugs and increase or decrease it if necessary. Most plugs will come pregapped, but if not, you should definitely have one of these.
- I also highly recommend you have a feeler gauge as it makes it a bit easier to check the exact gap, and it is helpful for quite a few other jobs.
- A torque wrench is a vital tool to have in your garage. You should check your factory service manual to determine the correct torque rating to use when putting in the new spark plugs for your 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata to be certain they are installed properly.
- A spark plug tester – this is definitely a niche tool, but it can save you lots of time. Although we’ve discussed spark plug replacement being a good thing to replace regularly and not just when issues occur, you may also be replacing your spark plugs because of an issue. This tool can help you diagnose the exact problem.
Tips for changing spark plugs on your 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Be sure to watch the video above before you attempt to repair the spark plugs on your 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata, as well as review your factory service manual. Be sure to check the tips shown here to help you as you complete this repair.
- Your engine should be completely COLD before you replace your spark plugs. You should wait at least 30 minutes after your engine has been running before attempting to replace the spark plugs on your 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata
- Before beginning, disconnect the negative terminal of your battery. You should always disconnect the battery anytime you work on the electrical system of your Mazda MX-5 Miata or any other vehicle.
- This is not official advice as many spark plug manufacturers advise against the use of anti-seize. However, I have heard from numerous old-school mechanics that they always apply a tiny amount of anti-seize to the threads of their spark plugs, especially on older vehicles.
- One of the most important things to remember is to avoid overtightening the plugs or worse, cracking them due to overtightenting. Use a torque wrench capable of lower, more precise torque ratings to be sure that you don’t make this mistake.
- It isn’t a bad idea to use dielectric grease when installing new spark plugs. You can apply a a little bit to the inside of the boot and the ceramic part of your spark plugs. It prevents voltage leak and helps avoid the misfortune of the boot fusing to the spark plug over time.