Spark plugs are one of the most critical components inside your engine that need to be maintained. There’s a good chance you will be required to replace your old and worn out spark plugs several times over the course of owning a 2014 Nissan Frontier. Spark plugs are one of the most critical parts inside your engine as they trigger the entire combustion process that starts and keeps your engine running for many thousands of miles. Similar to most engine parts, spark plugs experience wear over time and eventually need to be swapped out for new replacements, but fortunately this is a repair you can do yourself. Odds are, if you’ve found yourself here, you have no idea how to do that, or maybe you’d just like to know what kind of spark plugs you need to buy. The complete process of changing your spark plugs should take roughly 20-45 minutes. This article will go over everything you should need to know about your Nissan Frontier’s spark plugs, whether you need some baseline information or a full, step-by-step guide to performing a spark plug change.
Correct spark plugs on a 2014 Nissan Frontier
Recommended 2.5L L4 2014 Nissan Frontier Spark Plugs
Recommended 4.0L V6 2014 Nissan Frontier Spark Plugs
These spark plugs are an exact fit for their respective engines and will match the required specifications. Ensure you purchase the correct amount of spark plugs for your engine corresponding to the number of cylinders. Occasionally manufacturers will bundle spark plugs in quantities that make it difficult to buy the exact amount you need for your engine. In this case, it is a good idea to purchase enough for your next two spark plug changes just so you will always have a new set ready. We always try to recommend the best possible spark plugs for the money, and these spark plugs are either a factory recomendation or an equivalent replacement available now at a reasonable price.
How often should I change my spark plugs?
Very generally, it is advised that you replace spark plugs once every 20,000 to 40,000 miles. Of course, please make sure to check your owner’s manual to determine the exact interval determined by Nissan for the 2014 Frontier. Of course, if you drive your vehicle more aggressively or own a Frontier with some modifications, you may want to consider changing your spark plugs closer to the 20,000 miles end of that spectrum.
However, there are also classic signs of a car that needs a spark plug replacement early, such as:
- Engine misfiring
- Rough idle
- Problems starting your engine
Consider that this list is absolutely not comprehensive, and these problems on their own do not definitively point to the spark plugs being the solitary culprit. However, the best way to prevent any issues with your vehicle is to take care of it with organized maintenance, and you are definitely doing so with the responsible decision to replace your Nissan Frontier’s spark plugs on a regular basis.
Changing spark plugs on a 2014 Nissan Frontier
This is a process you should be able to do on your own with some ordinary garage tools. Of course, consult your owner’s manual, as well as a factory service manual or an equivalent Haynes or Chiltons manual. The video shown below does a good job of outlining the process.
As noted before, you should be able to complete a spark plug change with some regular tools you most likely already have. However, there are a few tools that are specific to this job that you may not have, and we also want to recommend some general tools that you should for sure have in your toolbox if you don’t already.
- A spark plug tester – this is definitely a niche tool, but it can save you lots of time. Although we’ve discussed spark plug replacement being a good thing to replace regularly and not just when issues occur, you may also be replacing your spark plugs because of something going wrong. This tool can help you diagnose the definite problem.
- A set of spark plug sockets – These come in very handy because many standard sockets are not deep enough for spark plugs. Also, some spark plug holes are a bit smaller, so it requires a thinner wall like the one featured in the product here to fit. The linked product also features a magnet to keep a good hold of the spark plug so you do not drop it into your engine bay!
- A spark plug gap tool. This allows you to check the gap of your spark plugs and change it if necessary. Most plugs will come pregapped, but if not, you should definitely have one of these.
- I also highly recommend you have a feeler gauge as it makes it a bit more straightforward to check the exact gap, and it is useful for a decent number of other jobs.
- A torque wrench is a very important tool to have in your toolbox. You will want to check your factory service manual to determine the correct torque rating to use when installing the new spark plugs for your 2014 Nissan Frontier to be sure they are installed properly.
Tips for changing spark plugs on your 2014 Nissan Frontier
Ensure you review the video above before you attempt to repair the spark plugs on your 2014 Nissan Frontier, as well as review your FSM (factory service manual) or owner’s manual. Additionally, we have some tips below here to help you as you do this repair.
- This is not official advice as many spark plug manufacturers advise against the use of anti-seize. However, I have heard from numerous old-school mechanics that they always apply a small amount of anti-seize to the threads of their spark plugs, especially on older vehicles.
- One of the most important things to remember is to avoid overtightening the plugs or worse, cracking them due to overtightenting. Use a torque wrench capable of lower, more precise torque ratings to be sure that you don’t make this mistake.
- It’s not a bad idea to use dielectric grease when installing new spark plugs. You can apply a a small dab to the inside of the boot and the ceramic part of your spark plugs. It lessens the chance of voltage leak and helps avoid the misfortune of the boot fusing to the spark plug over time.
- Before beginning, remove the negative terminal of your battery. It’s a good idea to disconnect the battery anytime you work on the electrical system of your Nissan Frontier or any other vehicle.
- Your engine should be completely cold before you replace your spark plugs. You should wait at least 30 minutes after any kind of operation before attempting to replace the spark plugs on your 2014 Nissan Frontier