Spark plugs are one of the most critical components inside your engine that need to be maintained. There’s a likely probability you will be required to replace your set of spark plugs several times while you own a a 2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata. Spark plugs are one of the most critical parts inside your engine as they begin the entire combustion process that starts and keeps your engine running for many thousands of miles. Like most engine components, spark plugs experience wear over time and eventually need replacement, but fortunately this is a repair you can do yourself. Chances are, if you’ve found yourself here, you have no idea how to do that, or potentially you’d just like to know what kind of spark plugs you need to buy. The entire process of changing your spark plugs should take about 20-45 minutes. This article will go over everything you will need to know about your Mazda MX-5 Miata’s spark plugs, whether you need some general information or a full, step-by-step guide to performing a spark plug change.
Correct spark plugs on a 2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata
For any 2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata, you can use NGK 5464 spark plugs. These will be an exact fit and will match the required specifications of your engine. As this 2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata features a 4 cylinder engine, ensure you purchase 4 spark plugs. We always try to recommend the best possible spark plugs for the money, and these spark plugs are either a factory recomendation or an equivalent replacement available now at an affordable price.
How often should I change my spark plugs?
Very generally, it is advised that you replace spark plugs once every 20,000 to 40,000 miles. Of course, please make sure to check your owner’s manual to determine the specific interval determined by Mazda for the 2002 MX-5 Miata. Of course, if you drive your vehicle more aggressively or own a MX-5 Miata with some modifications, you may want to consider changing your spark plugs closer to the 20,000 miles end of that spectrum.
However, there are also classic signs of a car that needs a spark plug replacement prematurely, such as:
- Engine misfiring
- Problems starting your engine
- Rough idle
Note that this list is certainly not comprehensive, and these problems on their own do not necessarily point to the spark plugs being the solitary culprit. However, the best way to prevent any issues with your vehicle is to take care of it with organized maintenance, and you are definitely doing so with the responsible decision to replace your Mazda MX-5 Miata’s spark plugs on a regular basis.
Changing spark plugs on a 2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata
This is a process you can do on your own with some commonplace garage tools. Of course, consult your owner’s manual, as well as a factory service manual or an equivalent Haynes or Chiltons manual. The video shown below does a good job of outlining the process.
As noted before, you should be able to do a spark plug change with some ordinary tools you most likely already have. However, there are a few tools that are specific to this job that you may not have, and we also want to recommend some commonplace tools that you should for sure have in your toolbox if you do not already.
- A spark plug gap tool. This allows you to check the gap of your spark plugs and increase or decrease it if necessary. Most plugs will come pregapped, but if not, you should definitely have one of these.
- I also highly recommend you have a feeler gauge as it makes it a bit more straightforward to check the exact gap, and it is useful for quite a few other jobs.
- A set of spark plug sockets – These come in extremely handy because many standard sockets are not deep enough for spark plugs. In addition, some spark plug holes are a bit smaller, so it requires a thinner wall like the one featured in the product here to fit. The linked product also features a magnet to keep a good hold of the spark plug so you do not drop it into your engine bay!
- A spark plug tester – this is definitely a niche tool, but it can save you lots of time. Although we’ve discussed spark plug replacement being a good thing to replace regularly and not just when issues occur, you may also be replacing your spark plugs because of a problem. This tool can help you diagnose the definite problem.
- A torque wrench is a very important tool to have in your toolbox. You should check your factory service manual to determine the correct torque rating to use when inserting the new spark plugs for your 2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata to be certain they are installed properly.
Tips for changing spark plugs on your 2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Please make sure you reference the video above before you attempt to repair the spark plugs on your 2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata, as well as review your FSM (factory service manual). Be sure to check the tips shown here to help you as you do this repair.
- It’s not a bad idea to use dielectric grease when installing new spark plugs. You can apply a a very light coating to the inside of the boot and the ceramic part of your spark plugs. It lessens the chance of voltage leak and helps avoid the misfortune of the boot fusing to the spark plug over time.
- Before starting, disconnect the negative terminal of your battery. It’s a good idea to disconnect the battery anytime you work on the electrical system of your Mazda MX-5 Miata or any other vehicle.
- You should replace spark plugs on a cold engine. Ensure you wait at least 30 minutes after any kind of operation before attempting to replace the spark plugs on your 2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata
- Take this (unofficial advice) lightly as many spark plug manufacturers advise against the use of anti-seize. However, I have heard from numerous old-school mechanics that they always apply a light coating of anti-seize to the threads of their spark plugs, especially on older vehicles.
- One of the most important things to remember is to avoid overtightening the plugs or worse, cracking them due to overtightenting. Use a torque wrench capable of lower, more precise torque ratings to be sure that you don’t make this mistake.